This Weekend’s Challenge
I’m flying in to Salt Lake City just before 7 p.m. on Friday.
This is the e-mail I received in response to my queries from my friend Steve with whom I am going hiking and camping in the mountains. I might also mention that the Perseid meteor shower will be peaking this weekend.
1. The weather should be pretty good. It will range from high 90′s to low 70′s in the valley and from the mid 80′s to the mid 50′s. It looks like it will be sunny and clear but it can always change to brief Thunderstorms in the mountains.
2. We will be headed into the mountains right away on Friday after you get in. We may be hiking in the dark so a headlamp would be good. The hike should be on a trail and will be slightly strenuous and about 4-5 miles long. I will carry the pack with all of the heavy stuff. Saturday we will probably be splitting off into two groups. The group is comprised of (2) guys and (5) girls. The two guys and one of the girls are serious climbers so we will be off to do some technical climbing in the morning. The rest of the group will probably take off for some good hiking (nothing killer but there are some great alpine lakes up where we will be). Then in the afternoon we will all get together and do some sport climbing (sport climbing is like what you would encounter at a rock gym). We can all share equipment for this one. Sunday we might hike and/or climb a bit in the morning or we may just head back down the mountain, depending on how we feel.
3. I would expect the hiking to be strenuous but nothing you cant handle. The only special equipment you will need to bring are hiking boots.
4. I have an extra pack and water containers for you.
5. I will also bring sun screen and bug spray (although there are not may bugs up here).
The only real stuff you will need is clothes. For the weekend in the mountains, I would bring the following:
1. Hiking boots
2. Hiking Socks
3. Long Pants
5. Shirts in layers (light under shirt, T-shirt/Tank, long sleeve shirt, Fleece)
6. Rain gear (pants & jacket)
7. Shade hat
8. Stocking cap
9. Sun glasses
Stuff I have for you:
1. Sleeping bag
I am sure that I am forgetting something but no worries, we will manage.